Mortimer Lumber was founded in 1945 by Floyd Mortimer and his son Franklin. Floyd as a young man worked in the Mortimer family business in Kinde, Michigan. The business was a drug store that also sold lumber and hardware, but Floyd chose the lumber business as his life’s vocation. Floyd was a partner for twenty years in what was known as “South Side Lumber”. When his partner retired, Floyd - with his son Franklin - started Mortimer and Son Lumber Company out of a two-car garage. The company resides at the same location to this day, our headquarters at the corner of 24th and Lapeer, in Port Huron.
Floyd worked in the business he loved until the age of 90. Those who worked with him cherish his memory and strive to continue the success of the company he co-founded.
Franklin Mortimer guided the company through the addition of three locations
during the 1950’s and 1960’s. His son Franklin “Chip” Mortimer II joined
Mortimer Lumber in 1977 and has worked in various areas of the business.
Chip became president of Mortimer Lumber in 1995 upon the retirement
of his father.
Mortimer Lumber now has four locations in Michigan:
recognized as a leader in the industry in the areas we serve and look
forward to serving you in the future.